Friday, February 27, 2009

Welcome to the NEW USA! Where the "S" stands for sweden...

Here's an op-ed piece from a cat whose intelligence, patriotism and intellectual consistency I respect a great deal but with whom I almost never agree. Or to say it plain, I can't hardly STAND this m*^%$@!&r most all of the time. But on this one, hey whaddya know, I think he's spot on:

"The Obamaist Manifesto" by Charles Krauthammer

I liked the piece so much I even posted a comment on the WP site:

I must say I'm an Obama supporter, thru and thru...I believe he has the gifts and tools to be a great, transformative president. And I'm rooting for him. However, I unequivocally agree with Mr. Krauthammer's assessment. I suspect Obama wants us to move us towards becoming a sort of 21st century Sweden.

Now, there's nothing at all wrong with Sweden; I personally happen to love much of what I've seen of the country. It's a great place to visit! And there's much to admire, I think, about the Netherlands, Belgium, and other European Social Democracies. Personally speaking, my sensibilities are not at all offended by the idea of paying 60% taxes in exchange for government subsidized - - high quality - - health care, graduate education, etc. . The european approach is quite attractive in many respects. But would a similar system work in a land as endeared with personal freedom, social mobility and entrepreneurial spirit as the US? I'm quite dubious of the prospect. As Obama himself has said, our traditions have evolved in substantially different directions, and under wholly disparate stimuli I might add, than those in Europe. Plus, our demographics and current entitlement obligations strongly suggest that we cannot afford anything even resembling a European style mixed economy! Of course, its long been apparent that Europe cannot afford it either, but that's a whole nother, albeit strongly related, matter.

I was left with an unsettled feeling after Obama's speech. He has not yet offered the clarity of vision that, say, Reagan (with whom I disagreed on almost, well, everything) was able. We cannot have confidence that there's equal measure of accumulated wisdom counterbalancing Obama's idealism. Reagan had many years to hone his ideas, and even test case many as governor of California. I'm growing concerned that this brilliant, insightful academic is planning on using the position of US president (aka Leader of the Free World) to test case hopeful, quixotic theories of activist government. Perhaps Obama is ahead of us all, foreseeing the emergence of a new center-left method of governance. Perhaps he envisions a sort of free market/social democratic hybrid that somehow manages to avoid the innovation inhibiting elements of the 20th century welfare state. Perhaps his finger is set firmly on the pulse of the moment and he sees a roadmap of progress set brightly lit upon the gloomy shadows of the current financial abyss. One can hope.

For me, though, there's something intellectually disingenuous (if politically adroit) about Obama calling himself a non-ideological pragmatist, leading people to believe he's a centrist but pursuing straight down the line liberal policies. And straight down the line liberal spending to boot. Now we know why the President didn't clamp down on house democrats during the stimulus process. Pelosi was indeed carrying Obama's water. Good to know.

So yes, I agree with Mr. Krauthammer: Obama finally has begun to lay his cards on the table. Its an audacious, sprawling agenda (the non word ginormous comes to mind). Tuesday night, as he segued into the middle section of the speech, I began to experience a feeling similar to when the drop begins at the apex of a rollercoaster. That incomparable mix of exhilaration and uncertainty that some internalize as thrill, others as fear. I certainly voted for change but, perhaps naively, didn't really comprehend just how much or exactly what kind of change - - and how uncertain the prospect would make me feel - - until this week.

No comments: